Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutesTotal Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 11 rolls
- 2-3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 .25-ounce package baking yeast (such as Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast – see note below)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup dairy-free milk alternative
- 2-1/2 tablespoons dairy-free non-hydrogenated margarine
- 1 large egg (can sub 1/4 cup applesauce or 1 Ener-G egg replacer equivalent for egg-free)
- 3 Tablespoons dairy-free non-hydrogenated margarine, softened to room temperature
- 1-1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup powdered (confectioners’) sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons dairy-free milk alternative or coconut milk creamer
- Set aside 1/2 cup of flour. In a large bowl, toss 2-1/4 cups flour, the sugar, salt, and yeast together until evenly dispersed.
- Heat the water, milk alternative, and margarine together in the microwave until the mixture is very warm, but not too hot to touch, about 125-130°F.
- Stir the margarine mixture into the flour mixture. Add the egg and only enough of the reserved flour to make a soft dough. Dough will be ready when it gently pulls away from the side of the bowl and has an elastic consistency.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead dough for about 3 to 5 minutes. Place it in a lightly greased bowl and let rest for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, roll the dough out in a 14×8 inch rectangle.
- Spread the softened margarine on top. Mix together the cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle it over the margarine.
- Roll up the dough tightly and cut into 11 even pieces and place in a lightly greased 9-inch round pan or pie dish.
- Loosely cover the rolls with aluminum foil and allow to rise in a warm, draft-free place for 60 and 90 minutes.
- After the rolls have doubled in size, preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cover the rolls with aluminum foil after 15 minutes to avoid heavy browning, if you prefer.
- Whisk the glaze ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- Top the cinnamon rolls with glaze right before serving.
Red Star Platinum Yeast has dough conditioners to offer a lighter, fluffier result. It is dairy-free, egg-free, vegan, and certified kosher parve. It does contain soy flour.
From Go Dairy Free